Menu For Students Learning English:
Sign Up For Email Updates For Free Services / Paid Resources + Also Get A Free Ebook: "25 English Learning Tips" (Subscription Optional + May Take 48 Hours To Email E-book - Check Spam):
On this page,you can see tips of 50-100 words, that are going to be used for a free IELTS ebook, called: "100 Free IELTS Tips Ebook" - it will also include specific sections of the reading, and speaking and writing.
Data for this topic and for further information can be seen from the official IELTS website at: "http://www.ielts.org/test_takers_information/question_types/question_types_-_listening.aspx".
When teaching the IELTS, from my teaching the IELTS listening, I have found that there are less tips available than compared to the IELTS speaking and writing sections. Nevertheless, it is possible to prepare in some ways. Data for this article and for further information can be seen from the official IELTS website at: "http://www.ielts.org/test_takers_information/question_types/question_types_-_listening.aspx".
1. The listening exam has 4 sections - each 10 questions - each question = 1 mark.
2. The recording and question order is the same.
3. Parts 1+2 = "everyday social situations". Part 1 = "two speakers conversation" / Section 2 = 1 person.
4. Parts 3+4 = "educational and training sitautions". Part 3 = two main speakers conversation. Part 4 = 1 person about something academic.
5. Recording = 1x and British/Australian/New Zealand/N. American accents.
6. Total time = 30 minutes + 10 minutes at end to transfer questions - careful of spelling + grammar.
7. Question types = 1. "multiple choice" / 2. "matching" / 3. "plan/map/diagram" identification / 4. "form/note/table/flow chart/summary" completion / 5. "sentence completion" / 6. "short-answer questions".
The IELTS listening exam can have accents from different English-speaking countries and different genders and ages. Therefore, try to listen to previous exams and also you can try listening to various different news reporters etc..
Try to read ahead and anticipate the different types of qeustions that you might get.
During the exam, you can make notes and then transfer the questions to the exam sheet after.
Do practice IELTS listening exams to build up experience.